I am aware that there are many ways to find a crm record id, but I want to share with you how I locate it. The way in which I find a record id is great for all staff members involved with MSCRM to perform. You don’t need to know SQL or mess around with thirdparty applications! Using this method you will be able to locate the id within seconds for custom and system records.
Today I discovered a gotcha with the XML placement for ribbon changes in the customisation XML. The gotcha surfaced while I was using the Visual Ribbon Editor tool. The main reason the gotcha rose was while using the tool I don’t have to pay attention to what parts of the XML are being edited, unlike if I was doing it manually.
When Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 first came out the first new feature to excite me wasn’t any of the high profile changes. It was the ability to use LINQ to query CRM. Yeah, typical developer, I know… But the ability to reduce a crazy condition expression with many linked entities in to a few lines of tidy code, HEAVEN I tell you!
Today I experienced an issue with a workflow assembly I created. This assembly was trigger by a manual workflow that was throwing an Invalid Argument error. Looking into the steps of the manual workflow it appeared that the error occurred before the workflow assembly. Debugging the workflow assembly proved that the assembly was executing perfectly. Very strange… Especially to say that workflow assembly was extremely simple. It was that simple it didn’t even execute any business logic!
While creating a plugin today I wanted to compare attribute values from a pre image with attribute values from the input parameters. Typically I always use the == and != operators for comparison. This generally works fine for the .NET base value types but for the CRM reference types of OptionSetValue, Money and EntityReference it caused me an issue. I wasn’t getting expected results back!